The Results of the Urinalysis

The Results of the Urinalysis

Share

Last week I had to take Misha back to the Vets to do a urinalysis.  She’s been leaking small amounts of urine off and on for a few weeks.  The veterinarian wanted to make sure she didn’t have a UTI before doing anything else.

As you know, going to the Vets is quite an adventure for us.  (I’m traumatized, too.)  I had to take her in early.  I knew that she would never be able to hold her bladder until we got there.  The alternative was getting up early, letting her pee, then waiting the 4-6 hours needed for urine to build up.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this.  I was so worried she would need to pee before her appointment and screw up the schedule.  Yes, these are the things a dog mom worries about.

I decided the best thing to do would be to drop her off at 8:30 and let her stay at the Vets for the duration.   This would mean getting up very early to get her to pee once, put the hood on, and then get her in.  The problem being I need an hour of sedative to get the hood on her.  That would mean by the time she got to the Vets she’d already be 2 or more hours in.  I don’t normally do this, but since this urine test was important and I didn’t plan on going more than one time to have it done, I decided to give her a sedative at dinner time the night before and put the hood on her.   This would enable me to give her the morning sedative a half hour before we left, meaning, she’d be plenty calm by the time they could do the test.  It would also remove the stress that is created when the hood is brought into the situation.  Misha tolerates it once it’s on, but she can fight it even with the sedative while I attempt to put it on her.

I got her up at 6:30, both of us begrudgingly.  She had her potty break and breakfast, then played around.  At 8:15, I gave her the sedative with more food.  She thought it was her lucky day!

I handed her over the technician without a hitch.  She was already getting droopy eyed.  Then, went home to wait.  She would be ready anytime between 11:30 and 2 depending on when they could get the sample.

I didn’t get any calls the first two hours and I took that as a positive sign.  At least, she hadn’t attacked anyone.  As it got closer to noon and then 1pm, I began to wonder if they were having trouble.  When 1:30 came, I worried that they couldn’t get a sample and we’d have to do this all over again.  But, about 10 minutes to 2 I got the phone call.  They were done!

I had a nice chat with the technician.  Misha did protest on the first attempt.  But, the technician was able to calm her (way to go Megan!).  Misha allowed her to get the sample and everything was over in less than 2 minutes.

The results were back 3 days later.  No sign of infection.  So, what’s our next step?  Since Misha has no other symptoms, we’ll start by treating it as the female hormone incontinence problem (where the muscles weaken and let urine out when the dog is relaxed).  Yesterday, I got her medication.  There are pros and cons about this drug.  However, my previous dog, Sierra, had the same issue–only when she leaked it was more like a flood being a 75 lb dog.  She was on the same medication and it worked well.  After 2 weeks she had no more accidents.

So, I’m keeping my fingers crossed with Misha.  It’s been frustrating to find her spots on my pants, the quilt, etc.  I can’t blame her.  These aren’t real accidents.  She’s completely unaware that she has done them.  Let’s hope we’ve come upon the solution and won’t have to think about things like surgery.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *