Thanks to the Chasing Dog Tales blog I learned about the annual Pet Blogger Challenge hosted by the GoPetFriendly website. This is my first time participating in the challenge. This was not the easiest of years for a variety of reasons, but we’re still here blogging!
Here are the questions for the 2017 Pet Blogger Challenge:
- When did you start your blog and, for anyone who is just seeing it for first time, please provide a description of your site. Would you say your blog focuses more on sharing stories with your readers, or
In 2009, I was given a puppy and I began blogging about her. However, that effort was short-lived. My father died in 2010 and there was so much going on that I didn’t have brain space for blogging. I revived Little Dog in a Big World in 2013 and have been blogging inconsistently ever since.
I consider this a place to share stories and experiences with my readers. Misha has gone through several behavioral issues and the blog has become a way to show how I’ve dealt with these issues and to encourage others who might be experiencing the same thing with their dog.
- What was your proudest blogging moment of 2016?
I had a three months spread this summer where I had a blogging schedule and stuck to it.
- Which of your blog posts was your favorite this year and why? (Please include a link.)
In July, a wrote a post called “5 Silly Things That I Love About My Dog“. This one was fun to write as I shared the quirkier side of life with a Jack Russell Terrier.
- Year after year, one goal that we all seem to share is that we want to reach more people. What one tool did you use or action did you take this year that had the most impact on increasing traffic to your blog?
The action I took was to network more with pet bloggers. Blogging is a lonely pursuit, so it’s good to meet others working in the same genre, share ideas, and read their blogs.The Blog Paws community is a great way to meet other pet bloggers. While I’ve been familiar with the website for over a year, in autumn I began participating in their Twitter chats.
- Which of your blog posts got the most traffic this year? (Please include a link.) Have you noticed any themes across your most popular posts?
The post that got the most traffic was “Incurin Can Cause Vulva Swelling in Dogs: A Known Side Effect“. In this post I wrote about the temporary but disconcerting side effect of vulva swelling with Incurin (aka Estriol). There is an interesting break down on traffic with my posts. The most commented on posts are the ones that my friends enjoy. These are usually photos and stories about my dog looking adorable in her blanket.The ones that get the most traffic are the post I’ve written on my experiences dealing with my dog’s various behavioral issues. These probably resonate with readers trying to resolve the same issues with their dog.
- What blog do you find most inspirational and how has it influenced your blog? (Please include a link.)
A Day in the Life of Piranha Banana has inspired me in many ways. I like the unique writing style. I’m not so clever to write posts as if they are written from my dog’s perspective. The beautiful photos are engaging and really bring out the dog’s personality. This is something I want to do more of on my blog.
- What is one thing your readers don’t know about you or your pets that would surprise them?
Readers might be surprised to know that Misha can sing. She is self taught but only likes one song, “Happy Birthday to You”. If you are a member of this family, you get a birthday phone call from Misha.
- What is something you’ve learned this year that could help other bloggers?
I learned the value of reading other blogs. Not only do you get ideas for material, you get to see how other bloggers approach their blogs. I’ve learned so much about writing and blog layout from reading other blogs.
- What would you like to accomplish on your blog in 2017?
I’d like to blog more consistently. There are always going to be life’s daily complications. I want to be able to consistently blog despite them.I also want to take advantage of the new things that the Blog Paws community now offers. One of my goals is to explore the website and take advantage of the learning opportunities.
- Now it’s your turn! You have the attention of the pet blogging community – is there a question you’d like answered, or an aspect of your blog that you’d like input on?
Here is my question: How do you encourage reader interaction and commenting?